The 'Diagonale des Fous' Trail
Day 1 Montvert les Hauts - Bourg-Murat
Welcome to St-Pierre, the departure point of the Diagonale trail (version 2017). From here we will complete the first 13 kilometres to Monvert Les Hauts by vehicle. Now your trail begins, todays route leads you to la Plaine des Cafres plateau along high cliffs with a number of fabulous view points overlooking the South of the island. After a passage to the Nez de Bœuf peak, you reach Bourg Murat and your accommodation for the night.
Distance: 37 km
Elevation: + 2100m/-1100 m
Accommodation: Gîte or mountain refuge
Luggage transportation included
Day 2 Bourg-Murat - Cilaos
From the village of Bourg Murat, your journey continues past the muddy Mare à Boue to Kerveguan hill. The route then dips down along a steep path in the Cirque de Cilaos. This afternoon, Thierry has a video to share along with some accompanying slices of wisdom about the latest Grand Raid race.
Distance: 17 km
Elevation: +800m/-1200 m
Accommodation: Gîte or mountain refuge
Your lugagge will be waiting for you
Day 3 Cilaos - Grand Place
Departure from Cilaos, across Bras Rouge river (red arms river) and up the steep Taïbit col (2 070 m), a must-visit pass between the cirques of Cilaos and Mafate. Venture into the atypical forest of le Plaine des Tamarins and pass through the col des Bœufs for a short visit in the cirque of Salazie. Return to Mafate by the Scout trail, a path which, in the true spirit of Réunion Islands mountains, resembles teeth, alternating between steep uphill and downhill sections. Arrival at Grand Place village to finish todays leg of the journey.
Distance: 31 km
Elevation: +2200 m /-2800 m
Night without luggage - you will be reunited with your bags tomorrow at Dos d’Âne
Day 4 Grand Place - Dos d'Ane
Leave Mafate via a long, demanding path which rises up to Maïdo (2050m). From here it is a long route down to the river of Galets. Cross the river and push through the last few uphill kilometres to Dos d' Ane...
Distance: 32 km
Elevation: +2800m /-2800 m
Your lugagge will be waiting for you
Day 5 Dos d' Ane - St-Denis
The last leg of our journey leads to the capital city of Réunion Island, St-Denis. The downhill Kalla path from Dos d'Âne leads to the coast, where the air is noticable warmer creating a different challenge! The route continues along the Chemin des Anglais (the path of the English), a registered historic monument. Today you complete one of the most demanding long-distance trails in the world.
Distance: 30 km
Elevation: + 1350m/-2000m
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- 4 nights gîte or mountain refuge accommodation with shared facilities
- Half-board from dinner Day 1 to breakfast Day 5
- All transfers as detailed in itinerary, in private vehicles
- Luggage transportation
- Secure baggage storage
- A detailed roadbook including, local tips, vouchers and your comprehensive itinerary
- 24/7 phone support during your trip
- International flights
- Lunches (approx. 8 to 10€/pers. for picnic lunches or 15 to 20€/pers. for restaurant meals)
- Dinner on Day 5 (approx. 20 to 25€/pers.)
- Transport to St-Pierre to meet on Day 1
- Repatriation insurance
- Hotel accommodation in Cilaos and la Plaine des Cafres (prices vary, subject to availability)
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Modification du contrat
Prix et révision des prix
Cession du contrat
Budget & exchange
- A cap or sunhat
- 1 or 2 sets of thermals: long-sleeved thermal tops and full-length long johns
- Long sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts, preferably in quick-drying technical material
- 1 light fleece or equivilent (plus extra warm layers for austral winter months)
- A breathable wind proof, waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex...)
- Lightweight waterproof over trousers
- 1 pair of long suitable shorts
- 1 pair of walking trousers (detachable legs ideal)
- A pair of high-rise walking boots with vibram soles - Réunions trails can be rocky and muddy (or appropriate trail running shoes)
- A pair of trainers or equivilent casual shoes for the evenings
- Thick walking socks
- Warm gloves, hat and scarf (forJune - September trips and those which climb up to the cirques or high mountains)
- A swimsuit
- Sleeping bag liner. Sheets and blankets are provided except in the refuge at Piton des Neiges where there are only blankets
- A tupperware box or bowl and cutlery for picnics
- Your personal toiletries - think to use as many biodegradable products as possible.
- Fast-drying microfibre towel
- Water bottle(s). Min. 2 litres, light and isothermal
- A good pair of sunglasses (think min. category 3)
- Sun-cream, face and lips
- Head torch and spare batteries
- A pocket knife
- A pair of hiking poles
- A waterproof bag cover (or plastic bags) to protect your belongings
- A rucksack (35-40L or 45-50L) for use as a day bag. This will contain your (vital) personal belongings for the day, or sometimes for several days. If you buy food on the way and carry only the bare essentials you can carry a small, light bag.
- A larger bag (60-80L) containing the rest of your belongings, those which you do not need with you in the day. This bag will be transported by our driver to your accommodation each day. Sometimes, as detailed in your itinerary, you will not see this bag for one or more nights. Please bring is a soft bag like a ruckack or holdall rather than a hard cased suitcase because it is more practical for our drivers.
Health information & recommendations
- Avoid dropping litter - use bins or carry your rubbish with you.
- Use drinking water sparingly - avoid wasting water, take showers not baths, report leaks, etc..
- Support the preservation of cultural sites - resist the temptation to touch statues, moves stones etc..
- Exchanges are prefarable to donations - generations gifts can destabalize the local economic balance.
- When walking, be aware of fragile ecosystems, observe wildlife from a distance, stick to trails, limit trampling and do not steal from the nature - resist the temptation to pick flowers, collect fossils or stones...
- Some hotels have air conditioning - to avoid excessive energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, please use sparingly and remember to cut the aircon when you are not in the room.